Wednesday, October 6

Pete and Re-Pete

Southerners, by nature, have very colorful expressions and words. Add in the southern accent, and you've got a party for your ears.  Living in the south for 6 years, I have come to love these expressions and words as much as I love to mock them.  I have even picked up a few of them in my everyday language, as it is not uncommon for me to use "y'all" and "yes, ma'am".  I will even admit that occassionally I catch myself about to say "fixin" - as in "I am fixin' to leave" (I gasp in horror anytime this happens).  I blame my close friend, Dawn.  She is just about as southern as they come.  On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is Arnold Schwartzenegger and 10 is Scarlet O'Hare, she is a 9.  And she is a plethora of colorful southern expressions with the perfect southern accent to complete the package.  But, of all the expressions I have been exposed to from Dawn, it is this one that I heard from a complete stranger that sticks with me. . . . let me put it in context.

Brandon and Tate walked into our realtor's office back when we were buying our new house.  As they opened the front doors, the receptionist said (in her smooth southern accent), "Well, if it isn't Pete and Re-Pete!"  And the other night, when Brandon and Tate walked into the club for dinner, it never seemed more true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of our customers said that same thing to me awhile back when z and i where at the store counter and i did not get it at first as my mind was elswhere. But a few hours latter i heard him talking to lori and the way he was puting his centences together sounded just like me and all of a suddon it hit me. Thats funny right thare! I dont care who ya are.
Thanks for posting these! for me it is like hitting the replay button on funny situations that make me laugh every time.

Say hi to all from salt lake Jake